For a taste of the South, try these easy and tasty Texas Tacos! The ingredients are all easy to cook and your kids will have a blast assembling them. These tacos are great for picky eaters because they can customize what they want in the taco – try to sneak in some veggies though!
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes: 10 servings
Good for: Lunch or dinner
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean) [for a healthier alternative, substitute with lean ground turkey]
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1-cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped fresh tomatoes and reduced-fat sour cream
- In a big pot, cook beef, red pepper and onion over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink and vegetables are tender, breaking up beef into crumbles. Drain the pot.
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, chili powder and salt; bring to a boil.
- Serve over rice with toppings of your choice. You can also use soft whole wheat tacos in place of rice if kids prefer!
Serving size: 2 tacos (without optional toppings)
258 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 59 mg cholesterol, 408 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
Photo courtesy of Perchance to Cook