Nothing beats a nice cold, slushy smoothie on a hot summer day. And the great thing about smoothies is that you can mix up the ingredients to fit your kids’ taste! No matter what you include, your kids will love making our Summer Sunshine Smoothie with you as much as they’ll love eating it!
Total time: 5 minutes
Makes: 2 smoothies
Good for: Breakfast or a snack
- ½ cup orange juice (or water, for less sugar)
- ½ cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- 6-8 strawberries
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 ice cubes
- Put all the ingredients in the blender.
- Put the top on tightly. Turn the blender to a medium setting and blend until the ice is chopped and the mixture is smooth, about 1 minute.
- Serve right away—or store in a thermos or covered in the refrigerator, up to 4 hours.
Note: Throw in some Napa cabbage or cucumber slices to add an extra nutrient boost to the smoothie. It won’t change the color of the smoothie so your kids won’t know! If your kids don’t mind some green, add some spinach or kale.
Serving size: 1 cup
145 calories, 2 g fat, 3 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein
Recipe adapted from Chop Chop
Photo courtesy of Chop Chop