This Sunday, May 11th, is Mother’s Day. Kids can get involved in the planning of an extra-special day of family fun to celebrate the moms, aunts, and grandmothers in their lives. Use a few of the ideas we’ve shared below or go ahead and flex your creative muscles to come up with a family-friendly activity for everyone to enjoy on Mom’s special day.
- Go on parade with the ducklings in the Boston Public Garden. The annual Ducklings Day Parade to celebrate Mother’s Day along with the famous “Make way for Ducklings” children’s story is a perfect event for families to enjoy the warm, sunny day forecasted for Sunday. The parade starts at 10:30am on the Boston common and winds over to the Public Garden for fun festivities. The $35 registration fee per family includes participation in the parade (kids are encouraged to dress up like their favorite duckling character), a goody bag for each child, face painting, and so many more activities. See the Friends of the Public garden website to register.
- Explore the Arnold Arboretum guided by our “Community Spotlight” blog post featuring its paths, parks, and events everyone will love. Mother’s Day is a perfect day to visit because it also happens to be when the Arboretum celebrates Lilac Sunday from 10am to 3pm. Invite Mom to smell the flowers in one of the nation’s largest and most beautiful collections of lilacs.
- Take a stroll by the harbor before settling in for a discounted brunch at the Hard Rock Café where they will be running a Moms Rock promotion sponsored in part by the New England Aquarium. After brunch, moms get into the Aquarium for free!
- Walk for Peace at this 18th annual Mother’s Day walk in Dorchester organized by the Louis D. Brown Peace Institute. The walk starting at the Town Field Park in Field’s Corner 8am is a chance for community members to come together in celebration of mothers and children. Don’t miss the performance by the Jah-N-I Roots Band happening after the walk for a chance to hang out and have fun with the family as well as your neighbors and other walkers for peace.
- Enjoying a relaxed day at home as a family is a great way to celebrate, too. If you are planning on surprising Mom with breakfast in bed, check out our breakfast recipes for a treat she’s sure to love.