Finding physical activities to do as a family is not only a fun way to stay fit, it’s a way to encourage your kids to develop and maintain a healthy lifestyle and habits from a young age. It can be really challenging as a busy parent to find the time to be active, but getting fit as a family does not have to be time-consuming or complicated. Here are six simple suggestions to incorporate more movement into your daily or weekly routine:
- Go for post-dinner walks: there are so many benefits to walking and to being outside, and the whole family can participate. Look up nearby parks and bring your four-legged friend, or stop by the Rose Kennedy Greenway for a family bike ride and take a spin on the carousel!
- Turn up the music and have a dance party!
- Go the long way: Drive partway to your kid’s school, park the car, and walk the rest of the way. Take the stairs whenever you can, or walk up the escalator. If you ride the bus or subway, get off a stop before your regular stop to get some extra steps in!
- Have a weekly sports night: pick a different sport or game each week to play as a family and head over to the nearest park!
- Release stress by doing yoga as a family on Boston Common! There are free yoga classes every Thursday from 6:00pm-7:15pm, June 8th to August 31st, on the lawn next to the Frog Pond Carousel. Remember to bring your own mats.
- Organize your own Family Olympics! Go to your local track or community pool and set up races while your family goes for the gold.